Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Description/Reflection Exercise

Positive Effect: As I sit here in the library, observing other students, I realize how special it is to be apart of the JMU community. My fellow students, faculty, and staff all working diligently in an educational environment seeking to better our minds. Everyone is elated to be in the library and enthusiastic about the great learning opportunities we are privileged to have. With the prospect of snow on most people's mind, who are coveting a day off from classes and work, they are hoping for an extra day of respite. Nevertheless they are happy to be college students and willing to put in the work to accomplish something meaningful in their four years in Harrisonburg. And finally, I see groups working together efficiently and productively--learning about the importance in success of group activity.

Negative Effect: Sitting in the library, reluctantly on this Wednesday, I witness the many students and faculty grudgingly working to get through the week. Happy at least it's not Monday, but depressed it's not Friday. Most are dreading the potential of having Saturday classes if the likelihood of snow remains strong. How bad will our weekend be if it is spent in auditoriums listening to mundane lectures? The bland and dull atmosphere is contagious, almost as if everyone detests JMU for no apparent reason. Most people can't wait for spring break, or spring in general.

Self Reflection: This assignment has allowed me to present two different perspectives, or biases, to the reader reflecting the general attitude in Carrier Library. Like an editorial writer in a prolific newspaper, I reveal only one side of the debate, omitting others, and leaving the reader to seek the truth on his own accord or side with my argument. This type of writing is very effective because it is evocative. A reader who completely disagrees with my perspective will have an emotion and a response to my writing; likewise, a reader who agrees will continue to read because he shares the same values and arguments I am proposing. This, in my opinion, is an effective writing style because it does not just merely present the facts, but it rather persuades the reader to believe the author's argument while acknowledging his rationality, or lack of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment